If you saw our post a week or so ago, you would know that I am set to play in what hopefully will end up being the longest baseball marathon game on record. If the group of 51 other guys and I accomplish what we are setting out to accomplish beginning in just a few short hours, then we will be lucky enough to see our names in the Guinness Book of World Records for taking part in the longest continuous baseball game ever.As I sit here, all packed up and ready to get some rest before heading over to Sauget, Illinois and the Gateway Grizzlies complex, where the game will take place, there are all kinds of thoughts and feelings going through my head.
How many times will I strike out?
How do I not pull a hamstring if somehow put in a situation where I could actually "let-out" a double?
Will I be able to make the throw from deep in the hole at the shortstop position, if I am lucky enough to man it for a few hours?
Can I really pitch the necessary 10-12 innings these guys are asking/expecting me to pitch?
When competing at a high level before, there was always anxiety about how I would perform and if I could execute my game plan. But the night before attempting to play baseball for 61 consecutive hours brings on a whole new set of emotions and stressful thoughts.
Injuries will be likely and fatigue will take over.
But it is exciting, just the same way it was every other time I got ready to play a big baseball game in my life.
At this point, I am pumped to get out there and see what I have left in the tank. I want to see if I can still buckle a batter's knees with a sweeping curve ball. I want to see if I can swing the bat a little bit.
I am ready to meet some new friends, feel some new muscles become sore, and have the time of my life participating in this great event.
If you would like to donate to the Joplin Chamber of Commerce to benefit tornado victims who are still struggling two years after the storm hit in May of 2011, please visit the event's LockerDome page or email me at corey@stlsportsminute.com.
Special thanks to Wes Keene (@KeeneMLB) of KeeneMLB.com for making a donation to the Joplin Chamber of Commerce. The somewhat official sponsor of me playing in this game. Please consider joining Wes by matching his generosity.