Finally, the start of our attempt to play the longest marathon baseball game has begun. After arriving at the Gateway Grizzlies Stadium around 3 am to meet the guys, go over some ground rules, and get dressed, we were able to officially get the game started at 5 am.
Our quest to break the Guinness World Record for the longest baseball game ever had officially begun.
It started with a bang for myself and my Team Joplin teammates. We put up six quick innings in the first inning to jump out to a big lead.
For whatever reason, I decided it would be a good idea to pitch first and I did quite well for an old fogey. I made it through 7 innings and allowed just three runs to help Team Joplin to a 14-3 lead after the first two hours of play.
The problem is that it was just two hours. There are 59 more to go!
I didn't fair as well at the plate as I did on the mound. I was 0 for 2 with a strikeout, but did manage to come around and score a run after getting hit by a pitch.
So far, the event has been incredible and has exceeded my expectations. The facility is fantastic, the amenities are perfect, and we look good too.
Stay tuned for another update to come throughout the day as we progress in our attempt to break the record for the longest marathon baseball game ever.
In the meantime, consider making a donation in our name to help the city of Joplin, Missouri. Feel free to email me with questions at corey@stlsportsminite.com.
If you would like to come watch, feel free to come out anytime between now and 7 pm on Sunday evening.
