St. Louis Cardinals utility man Skip Schumaker is a fan favorite in St. Louis. His grit, determination, and give everything attitude are the types of things Cardinals fans fall in love with. Plus, a lot of the ladies think he is cute.
So when the Cardinals announced earlier this week that they were able to bring Schumaker back with a two year, $3 million contract, Cardinals fans were happy.
But Skip's future in St. Louis looks to be quite a bit different. A make-shift second baseman under the tutelage of former skipper Tony La Russa, Schumaker figures to take on a different role under new manager Mike Matheny.
The career .290 hitter will likely serve as the Cardinals fourth outfielder next season and see limited time at second base as the Cardinals look to give Daniel Descalso and possibly Tyler Greene some time at the position.
Schumaker, to his credit, is fine with the possiblity of taking on a new, lesser role.
And for just $3 million over the next couple of seasons, the Cardinals got themselves a nice bargain for a great clubhouse guy who can contribute at the plate.
Sources:
So when the Cardinals announced earlier this week that they were able to bring Schumaker back with a two year, $3 million contract, Cardinals fans were happy.
But Skip's future in St. Louis looks to be quite a bit different. A make-shift second baseman under the tutelage of former skipper Tony La Russa, Schumaker figures to take on a different role under new manager Mike Matheny.
The career .290 hitter will likely serve as the Cardinals fourth outfielder next season and see limited time at second base as the Cardinals look to give Daniel Descalso and possibly Tyler Greene some time at the position.
Schumaker, to his credit, is fine with the possiblity of taking on a new, lesser role.
"I know it could be a different role for me. Descalso is going to get a chance. But we don't know how long Allen Craig is going to be out for. I just know I'm going to spring training trying to win a job and see how it happens. But that's how I approach it every spring. If I'm backing up whoever, I'm prepared to do it."Unlike some other prominent free agents that the Cardinals have dealt with this off-season, Schumaker knew exactly where he wanted to play the next two seasons. After earning $2.7 million last season, Schumaker said it was an easy choice to take the Cardinals lower offer.
"There's always interest in the back of your mind about what else may be out there, but my agent knew where I wanted to be. This is where I'm comfortable. It's pretty much a slam dunk for me. This is all I know. It was an easy call. Here, I know what I'm getting into. If you go to a new team, you don't know. The majority of a really good team is coming back. These are good guys to play with. They're good people. That's something that's very important within a long season."So Cardinals fans can be happy knowing that Schumaker is back in the fold. He wants to be a Cardinal. He understands that his role will be diminished.
And for just $3 million over the next couple of seasons, the Cardinals got themselves a nice bargain for a great clubhouse guy who can contribute at the plate.
Sources:
Comments
Post a Comment