Everybody saw the public display outside of Angels Stadium on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Southern California. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim told everybody that a press conference for Albert Pujols was to be held. There was one problem though. The 1:30 CT event was anything but a press conference.
Over 4,000 screaming Angels fans and prominent Angels players such as Torri Hunter, Jered Wearver, and Dan Haren showed up to welcome Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson as new members of the Angels organization. It was better than most pep rallies held at major college campuses before marquee football events.
Pujols was reluctant to answer any questions regarding the contract negotiations that ensued earlier this week during the event. But later, during a second press conference, that actually was a press conference held indoors, Pujols opened up to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and other members of the media regarding his decision to leave the City of St. Louis, the St. Louis Cardinals organization, and its fans.
The comments by Pujols surely will not ease any pain fans in St. Louis may have experienced while watching him put on an Angels jersey for the very first time.
His comments likely did not mend the disappointment people in St. Louis felt while watching Albert Pujols wear a jersey without the Birds on the Bat on the front for the first time in 11 special seasons.
Sources:
Over 4,000 screaming Angels fans and prominent Angels players such as Torri Hunter, Jered Wearver, and Dan Haren showed up to welcome Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson as new members of the Angels organization. It was better than most pep rallies held at major college campuses before marquee football events.
Pujols was reluctant to answer any questions regarding the contract negotiations that ensued earlier this week during the event. But later, during a second press conference, that actually was a press conference held indoors, Pujols opened up to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and other members of the media regarding his decision to leave the City of St. Louis, the St. Louis Cardinals organization, and its fans.
"But to tell you the truth, it wasn't about the money. I'm going to die saying that, because it wasn't about the money. It was about the commitment."
"It was about the way he made me feel. Arte made me feel like he wanted me to be with the Angels forever. He doesn't want me to be 37 years old and go somewhere else."
"I know people back in the city of St. Louis think it's all about the money and are upset about that. I have all the offers out there for a lot of money. They're calling me 'liar' and all that stuff. That's all good. I went through that when I made the decision. It was tough. I know what they're going through. They're losing somebody that has been part of the community. And I feel for that. My wife and I felt that pain, too."
"I felt I wanted to hear from the Cardinals. I don't want to hear from Danny. It's not that I didn't trust him. I wanted to have a conversation that was really honest. They tried to make their best offer. We didn't come up with an agreement."Pujols's comments bring to light new information revealed by Joe Strauss of STLToday.com. The Cardinals had offered Pujols a five year, $130 million contract during the heat of the negotiations.
The comments by Pujols surely will not ease any pain fans in St. Louis may have experienced while watching him put on an Angels jersey for the very first time.
His comments likely did not mend the disappointment people in St. Louis felt while watching Albert Pujols wear a jersey without the Birds on the Bat on the front for the first time in 11 special seasons.
Sources:
If it was not about the money, then why did he not transfer to another team for the same pay?
ReplyDeleteArte Moreno is a fraud! He told VLADAMIR GUERRERO the SAME thing, and when Vladdy got old and sore, Arte discarded him like an old pair of shoes!
ReplyDeletePujols will learn soon enough.