![]() |
| Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter allowed 3 runs in 4 innings on Wednesday, but he left the game feeling healthy, which is the best news for Cardinals fans. - Zimbio.com Photo |
But nobody cared about anything that happened on offense.
All of the attention was centered around the return of Chris Carpenter to the hill.
The Cardinals opening day starter made his first start since injuring a hamstring early in spring training.
And while the box score doesn't reveal a vintage Chris Carpenter outing, the Cardinals were just happy to see their opening day starter back on the field.
"The biggest tests were the ones he made in the field," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "He'll be ready for opening day."
Carpenter threw 57 pitches over 4 innings, allowing 3 runs on 6 hits and a walk while striking out none.
But Carpenter knew that today wasn't about stats, but about showing he was healthy and getting ready for the season.
"I feel fine right now and I'll be ready for opening day," Carpenter said. "All I need to do now is get my pitch count up and not hurt anything. It felt better as I went along."
Cardinals should hope that Carpenter feels better after every start. He is vital to a successful season for St. Louis.
Sources:

Comments
Post a Comment